Monday, May 27, 2013

Honor them everyday

How many of us "old-timers" have preached to our younger generations that they are so guilty of taking things for granted. I admit that I'm one of those that preached a lot to my children and at times even admonished them for taking for granted their good life that I worked so hard to provide for them. Come on now, how many of you out there did the same thing? Be honest.

So, let's reflect on today as a reminder that all of us, at times, take our great life here in this country, for granted. Like a lot of you out there I'm ashamed to admit, there are times that I also forget those that have died so that I can enjoy the freedoms that I share every day. I'm ashamed to admit that yes, I forget, and just take it for granted. There are times I even feel I'm entitled to this great way of life, forgetting those that died for me.

There have been so many wars, starting with the Revolutionary War to break the chains of tyranny from the British empire to the war we are now fighting every day against radical Islamic Jihadist Muslim terrorism. There have been tens of thousands of men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for us. 

There are so many statistics surrounding the tragic deaths of these military heroes. To me, arguably the most impacting statistic is that over 90% of those that went into combat battle that have died  protecting our freedoms, and continue to do so, were and are VOLUNTEERS.  Yes, it is enough that someone has died to protect your freedoms, but to volunteer to go into battle is a heroic feat beyond words.

It means, these brave heroes that sacrificed their lives, and will continue to do so, could have just as easily looked the other way. Instead, knowing the risks and tragedies that may befall them, they still volunteered to protect the very freedoms you embrace every day.

If you're around my age (78), I'm sure you have known those that have sacrificed their lives for all Americans. My wife and I have three WWII heroes killed by enemy fire, that were relatives. I have a very close friend killed when a Vietnam war enemy threw a grenade in his jeep.  Last year I buried a 91-year old close friend that survived the battles of WWII. He was a Silver and Bronze Star hero. We all have stories like that.

In a few hours I'll fire up the grille, pour a single malt Scotch, light up a cigar and while the steaks are grilling I'll say prayers for those that have sacrificed their lives so that I can enjoy today, and every day of freedom I embrace. I hope you do the same while you enjoy the beauty of today.

To all of you I write that not just today, but every single day of your life please never forget those that have gone before us in battle, and died to protect the freedoms that we share every  day.

God bless our country...and may God bring those in battle now, home safely to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all views, and am open for discussion, but will not tolerate personal attacks