Tuesday, July 3, 2012

We honor you

During our Memorial Day weekend I took a break from my "Politics with Pete' blog and tried my best to write about all our American heroes  who gave the ultimate sacrifice for all the wars our great country has endured.

Today, I want to try my best to write about those that are still in foreign lands fighting for the freedoms we all share. Also, we all owe a deep debt of gratitude to those who have survived the wars, and have lived to pass on their stories to us. These stories have so many meanings.

I was honored to wear the U.S. Air Force uniform for four years. I never endured any combat duty, but never faltered in my honor to wear the uniform. I still feel guilty when asked, especially by a veteran who did endure war combat, "what did you do in the Air Force"?

I would sheepishly reply, "I played second base". I was fortunate to be in Special Services, enabling me to travel all through Europe, inside the iron curtain, for three of my four years of duty. But I always felt honored and like a proud military representative of our country when I dressed in my Air Force blues and performed my duties.

I have been fortunate to know friends that have endured combat duty, and have lived to tell their heroic stories. One of my heroes is actually a family member. His son is married to my daughter. A retired USMC friend I just call Major Jack. 

Major Jack is a recipient of the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, along with many campaign ribbons. He is the main character in author Doyle Glass's book "Lions of Medina".
A movie is to be made of the book soon.

Last summer, at my daughter's home, over a bottle of single malt Scotch and mild cigars, I asked Major Jack to tell me the stories of his Silver and Bronze Stars.  What impressed me is he spoke more of those that were left behind and didn't make it back home. He rattled off their names as if he was reading from a sheet of paper. As we were sharing the Scotch and cigars he used the term "we" many more times than "I". Jack says he still gets phone calls from those that were under his command. Makes him a bigger hero to me.


Another friend of mine tell stories of his main duty in Viet Nam. He was the leader of the body bag patrol. His wife told me that many years after the Viet Nam war was over he would wake up screaming in the night, while sleeping, but when he was awake he would never speak of this duty.


There are times, when wearing my old Air Force baseball hat, I get stopped, and strangers, young and old, will utter, "thanks for your service". My only reply is "it was an honor to serve".

I am now 77, may be tested for MS this Fall, and have had my share of physical problems and operations, but yet I still feel humbled when I compare myself to these American heroes who have fought and survived the horrid combat duties they endured.

Sometimes we forget, as we check the thermostat for heat or cold fresh air, or decide what nice cooked meal we'll be eating, that there are those enduring combat with eighty pounds of gear on them, and hoping for a few hours sleep, a drink of water, and something decent to eat. Never forget that what we share we owe to these heroes.

I would like to ask anyone who reads this to never forget our war time heroes that still honor the uniform. When you see an old timer with an old military hat on, or a young service man/woman please thank them for their duty. Make them feel we will never forget them, and not just on the Fourth of July, but always.


And for those of you who can afford it joining the Wounded Warrior Project is very uplifting, and I guarantee it will make you feel like you're doing something.


Tomorrow I'll be back with Politics with Pete......today we honor you service heroes. We will never forget you

 

   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all views, and am open for discussion, but will not tolerate personal attacks