Monday, March 11, 2013

It's my right

You old timers will remember that song, "It's My Party and I'll Cry If I Want To".  Well, yesterday morning my wife thought I had gone off the deep end. I awoke to a warm morning of 65 degrees, and I started to sing the above song, but I changed the words to, "It's My Right, and I'll Shoot If I Want To". 

The reason for my stupid and crazy singing was that we've had a snowy cold winter here in Northeast Ohio, and I spent (still do) a lot of my time down in my man-cave making reloads for my two .38's and .357. As I looked out my man-cave window I would just pray for the days this Spring when I could go target shooting. 

Well, yesterday was that first day, and after watching Duke beat N.Carolina in basketball the night before (grandson in med school at Duke), and to go shooting the very next morning was more than this old timer could hope for.

So, after loading the car with my targets, my gun bag with two of my guns, and 300 rounds of reload ammo, I was heading for the pistol range. 

When I got to the pistol range there were four other shooters already on the range. Two of the guys I recognized. Every time I pulled the triggers on my revolvers I thanked God and the founding fathers for my Second Amendment rights.  After a couple of hours of shooting the five of us sat on a bench and began, as all target shooters do, swapping stories about our handguns, where's the best place to buy shooting supplies, rising costs of gun supplies, and the shortage of handgun and reloading supplies.

Of course there were jokes and teasing, then someone brought up what Hitler Jr. is trying to do with our Second Amendment rights. Now that sure opened a can of worms.  Of course a lot of the comments can't be written in my blog. You get the drift right?

Three of us are NRA members, and we all agreed that there  was no way ANYONE was going to take away our Second Amendment rights.  From the tone of the conversation I would venture a guess that there were no Democrats in our small group of five. 

On the drive home from the pistol range I thought of the four men I stood with at the pistol range. Every one of us fired hundreds of rounds of bullets from deadly weapons. It was encouraging to share this time with these men. All five of us followed safety protocol, along with courtesy and respect for one another. 

We all remembered and chuckled at the line Charlton Heston spoke at an NRA convention, "The government can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands".

You will never see any of the five men at the pistol range yesterday running into a crowded theater or a school to open fire on defenseless adults and children.  And of course this goes to proving the point that I repeat over and over: "guns  don't kill people....people kill people".

Just to repeat my favorite target shooting theme: I pray that I never point and shoot my handguns at anything but targets, however, when I go to sleep at night I set the house alarm, and have my .357 on my nightstand, loaded with hollow point bullets and sleep like a baby.

And that's Politics with Pete for today...God bless our country...and our troops

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all views, and am open for discussion, but will not tolerate personal attacks