Friday, May 25, 2012

Thank You-God Bless

I want to take a break from politics today to remind us all what this weekend signifies. While you're out buying the goodies and groceries, and firing up the grille, please remember who we have to be thankful for this weekend, and the rest of our days and weekends.

Bow your head, and give thanks to those that made the ultimate sacrifice so we could all enjoy the freedoms we have. During all the wars this country has been in there have been thousands of men and women who will never share the freedoms we have, and yet gave their lives so we could. Isn't it amazing they gave their lives for people they didn't even know.....they gave their lives for this great country. Please don't ever forget that.

I served in the USAF for four years, but was personally fortunate that I was too young for WWII, and the Korean War, and too old for the Vietnam war, however I was always proud to wear the Air Force uniform. I am also very proud to know friends, relatives, and family members who did serve in these wars. I lost one of my favorite uncles in WWII combat, and family members who received the Purple Heart.

Last year I shared cigars and some single malt Scotch with two Marine heroes; one who was awarded the Silver and Bronze Stars; both awarded the Purple Heart. I was in awe listening to  the stories of their journeys in combat.  Last year I buried a 90-year golfing friend who served in combat in WWII, earning the Silver and Bronze Stars, along with the Purple Heart and many campaign ribbons in some of the most dangerous areas of the War.

Yesterday I met a young man who just returned from the Middle East conflict. His job; he was a sniper. First thing I did was thank him for his service. He was very humble and noticed I was wearing an old Air Force baseball cap, and actually thanked me for my service. I told him I was embarrassed comparing my peace time service to what he endured. I told him I wanted to hear more, so we've made plans to share a cigar and some single malt.

Let's not forget to honor ALL men and women in our military who have served, who now serve, and especially those who made he sacrifice so we can enjoy our lives of freedom. I remember the very first time I walked up to a G.I. in an airport, stuck out my hand and said, "thank you for your service". He grabbed my hand with both of his hands and said, "thank you sir...it's an honor to serve". I'll never forget that. Since then it has become very easy, and every time  I see a man/woman in uniform I never forget to shake their hand and say "thank you".

You may feel a little awkward at first to share a heart-felt feeling with a stranger, but I guarantee you'll walk away with a great feeling, and they will greatly appreciate your thanks and gratitude. I don't care if you're a Republican, Democrat, or whatever your political and religious beliefs are. Just remember you're thanking someone who is fighting for your freedom, and they don't care what your personal beliefs are either.

I'll close with another suggestion. Two months ago I became a member of the Wounded Warrior Project. I did it in the names of my grandchildren.  I encourage all to join. Hey, we've all got $19. a month that we spend foolishly on stuff we really don't need. Your $19. a month will go for so much good.


God Bless our brave people who aren't here, and those that are here wearing the uniform. Please don't ever forget them.


And that's (No) Politics with Pete for today.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all views, and am open for discussion, but will not tolerate personal attacks