Wednesday, November 6, 2019

I'm still handsome?

I'm 84 years young, with a little Pakinson's going on and so I spend a lot of time in my motorized wheelchair I named "Ferrari". Yesterday I was bragging to my wife, "Hey, I'm still a hottie". Without batting an eye my wife replied, "Have you looked in a mirror lately?"
So, I hobbled in the bathroom, looked in the mirror, and hollered after my wife saying,  "Yeah, you're right", and we both got a big laugh over it.

This is my once-a-year blog focusing on the billions, with a B, of dollars that are spent each year just to make us 'feel good about ourselves'. Yes, I'm an 84-year old with sags, wrinkles, and even a small pouch for a stomach,  I actually feel good about myself and my appearance. I realize I'm 84, and supposed to look like it, even if my wife claims I act like a spoiled  brat.

I actually feel a little sad for people who are so insecure, and are so afraid of 'getting' old they will spend millions to get Botox, tummy tucks, breast and buttock implants, and even skin peeling. Are these people so ashamed of the way they look or so fearful of aging they feel that their self-esteem will escalate if they only get one more face lift and/or a Botox injection.

The argument that this makes someone feel better about themselves if they receive cosmetic surgery is nothing more than the world's most infamous claim.  If you really want to feel good about yourself, forget about making yourself the center of the universe, and instead do something for someone less fortunate than you. 

Just think for a minute if the billions spent on 'making myself look better' was really spent on poverty, education, and crime/drug problems. Wouldn't that be more beneficial to America than all the ridiculous cosmetic surgery being performed every single day. Maybe the saddest statistic of all is that over 90% of cosmetic surgery is completely unnecessary. 

And by the way what the hell is wrong with looking your age?  It's apparent that these insecure and self-centered people are actually ashamed of the way they look. Their only answer is to spend billions to undergo useless surgery just so they can 'think' they look better. The truth is they really don't look any better....they just 'think' they do. I have a family member that has cheeks and lips blown up with Botox. The truth is they actually look comical with all that injected puffiness in their face, but to themselves their perspective is they look young and fabulous. 

One last thing, and it angers me. What the hell is wrong with the way us old timers look with our wrinkles and sags? It shows our wisdom,  longevity, and pride. If only the cosmetic surgery world would just understand that society really doesn't care what you look like. Yes, the Hollywood world and TV talk show world try to justify their cosmetic surgery expenditures by feeling their careers are in jeopardy and it has nothing to do with talent. It's how you look, and that's sad.

So before you spend hundreds or even thousands on making yourself look younger, give some deep thought to skipping the Botox and enhancing body surgery and focus on paying it forward. There are so many organizations that would welcome any help through donations; Wounded Warriors, Tunnel to Towers, St. Jude, Shriners, and the list goes on and on.

Remember, you never stand so tall as to when you stoop down to help those less fortunate than yourself.

And that's Politics with Pete for today...God bless our country and our troops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all views, and am open for discussion, but will not tolerate personal attacks