Saturday, September 15, 2012

Let's stand together

I got a strong shot of humility in my veins yesterday as I watched the remains of Ambassador Stevens and three other slain Americans arrive in our country. Starting with the man I see in the mirror every morning when I shave, I'd like all of us to look deep inside ourselves at this critical time in our nation's history.  It may be the most critical time we've yet to face.

First, I want to thank the News-Herald for giving me the opportunity to join their media lab and write my daily blogs. Some of my blogs have even appeared in the news sections of the daily News-Herald publications. I also want to thank my friends and family that have offered their support and praise of my blogs.

Today, I'm feeling so introspective and humble I'd even like to thank the critics that oppose the views in my blog and offer their own side of their views.  Sounds crazy I know, but this is a time when we have to forget we're Liberal Democrats or Conservative Republicans. We have to starting thinking as AMERICANS.

Yes, I'm a strong believer that the Romney-Ryan ticket can do a better job in solving our country's economic and foreign policy problems better than the Obama-Biden team, as there are strong Liberal Democrats believers that think our President is better suited.  I'm also smart enough to believe that with only 52 days before the election my blogs are not going to sway any Democrats into voting Republican, just like the Democrats, at this point, are not going to sway any Republicans.

Then I ask why is there so much negativity and vitriol spouting out from both sides of the aisles.
Just yesterday a Republican Senator likened the Chicago teachers on strike to the Muslim radicals that attacked our mid east embassies.  An African-American Democrat Congressman accused Republicans of wanting to take our country back to Jim Crow laws.

Really, is this any way to work together to solve the problems that face our country today?  Recently a Democrat friend of mine asked, "why do you care...you're 77...none of this matters to you...you'll be dead and gone before any of this hits."  I just reminded him that my wife and I have six children, and nine grandchildren between us. That's all I had to say. My friend never responded.

There is so much negativity coming from both sides of the aisle, that our judgment gets clouded much of the time. There was a quote from the last Democrat President that I voted for, JFK, that I'll never forget. In his 1960 inauguration, when I was just a toddler of twenty-five, JFK said, "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country". Why are we forgetting this great question?

America is the greatest country ever, and we always find a way to emerge out of our problems. 
We'll find a way to survive the dilemma we're in now. We can't elect one man as President, then say, "well, it's all yours...you've got four years to fix this". The American people are the only ones that are going to fix our problems, and we can only do that as Americans; not Democrat or Republicans.

The blame game is actually fun to play right? Because it's easy to spin a problem and blame the other guy. Just remember using these excuses all the time just stops us from jumping in to help solve the problems.

Again, a big thank you to the News-Herald for giving me a window to express my Republican conservative views, and a heartfelt thanks again to family, friends, and yes even critics.

Tomorrow, I'll go back to opposing Mr. Obama's policies, and supporting Governor Romney in my blogs. Today, I just love family and country more than I love being a Republican.  Wouldn't it be nice if more felt that way.

And that's Politics with Pete for today...God Bless our country...and our troops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all views, and am open for discussion, but will not tolerate personal attacks